Can gas ducted heating cause carbon monoxide poisoning?
Yes, they can. This can happen when the combustion process is incomplete, producing large quantities of carbon monoxide. This is the biggest risk in gas ducted heaters that have been left unserviced or are in a faulty condition.
Issues that can lead to carbon monoxide leaks include poor air-to-gas ratios, obstruction of the flame, incorrect gas operating pressures, bad burners, or cracks in the heat exchanger. When such leaks take place in an enclosed space, dangerous levels of carbon monoxide can build up.
The best way to reduce the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning caused by faulty gas ducted heaters is to ensure regular servicing. You can check for this by visually inspecting the heater before turning it on in winter, and each month after to look for visible damage, to see if the flame is visible beyond the top surface of the tile, the pilot lights and main burners are producing a blue flame, not yellow or red, or if it emits a strange smell. If any of these issues are the case, call a professional for a service immediately. It is also vital to ensure proper ventilation in the room to help reduce any risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.
View Airconditioning Articles